Throwing away the to-do list.

Today I decided to take time just for me, even though it wasn’t on my to do list.

There were dishes, so many dirty dishes stacked in the sink and overflowing onto the counter, waiting for me to clean them.  Those dishes were on the list.

There was clutter and mess stretched from one end of the house to the other.  (I imagine one could read our family’s story by the scattered toys on the floor, rather like a fortune teller reads tea leaves.  Look, they would say, broken crayons next to naked Barbies and Nerf footballs signify a busy, affectionate family with artistic tendencies, but little emphasis on proper clothing.)   Putting away all that mess was on the list.

Also on my list, there’s a book review I needed to finish and a friend I needed to help.  And let’s not forget dinner.  Answering the dreaded question of what shall I make for dinner? was on the to-do list.

Gentle reader, I’m not afraid to admit to you that I threw away my list.  With reckless abandon I threw that piece of paper right into the trash.  Then I stepped over the Barbies, kicked a football out of my path, and broke a few more crayons as I made my way to the couch to put my feet up with a good book.

My cats immediately approved of my bold move to do nothing and showed their solidarity by overcoming their hatred of one another as they shared my lap.  I took this for a sign that I wasn’t being slothful, instead I was promoting peace among felines- a worthy aim.

For the next hour I did nothing but read and listen to purring kitties.  It was heaven.

Then the cats got bored and abandoned me, the children grew restless and required direction and fruit snacks, and the list somehow resurrected itself.  I put down the book and got busy.

But I had an hour, sixty whole minutes, just for me.  Just for me.

(Just Write.)

Advertisements
This entry was posted in just everyday life. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Throwing away the to-do list.

1. Mindy says:

Oh, how I bow down to you.

2. Lisa says:

Good for you!!!!! We should all do that for ourselves more often.

3. traceybecker says:

Girl, I do that more often than I care to admit…. Life without pleasure isn’t a life worth living. Enjoy YOUR life while you’re here.

4. I am so envious right now my eyes are shooting green sparks. LOL

Seriously, glad you took some time for yourself. We all need it every now and then…I just have to learn how to do it!!

5. Rachael says:

Lovely! I did something similar on Sunday afternoon. The baby was napping, the preschooler was whining, Mommy, Mommy, Mom-MEEEEE!, and I was about to lose it — not for the first time that weekend. So I informed my husband that I was going out to a cafe (just four blocks away) for a cafe mocha and a bit of writing. And I did. And I plan to do it again — perhaps once a week? I hope that you have more opportunities to abandon your list, too!

6. bigalittleamom says:

What an amazing 60 minutes that must have been!!

7. jason says:

Good for you. Sometimes we need just a little bit of that me time to recharge. Take ’em where you can get ’em.