My new obsession.

So I have a new obsession.  (I mean besides Pinterest.)  What am I obsessed with?  Well thank you for asking.  Kiwi-Lime Jam.  (As you read that did a heavenly chorus of angels begin singing in your head?  If not, read it again.)

Kiwi-Lime Jam is not for children.  Or babies.  Or people with grudges against citrus fruit.  Kiwi-Lime Jam is for those people blessed with a love of  Vitamin C and obsessed with all things wonderful.  And it helps if you like things a little bit….tangy.

How tangy is really up to you when you make this deliciousness.  And it is not too hard to do.

In a bowl, mash 8 or 9 peeled kiwifruits (it should be about two cups.)  Yes, peeling kiwis is a loathsome task that we all hate.  But persevere, this jam is totally with it.

Add 4 cups of sugar and one teaspoon of finely shredded lime peel.  Let this fruit mixture stand for ten minutes.  It will look like this.

While the kiwis are resting (evidently peeling is hard on those little guys as well,) combine 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of lime juice in a saucepan.  Stir in one package of powdered fruit pectin (1.75 ounces.)  Bring this to boil over high heat.  Boil it hard for one minute, stirring constantly.

Add the fruit mixture to the pectin mixture.  Stir for three minutes or until the sugar dissolves.  (Dissolve it all people, no one likes undissolved sugar in their jam.)  Remove from heat and cool for fifteen minutes.

Pour this deliciousness into freezer containers (leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.)  IMPORTANT:  Let this jam stand at room temperature for 24 hours before serving or storing.  Kiwi-lime jam keeps in the refrigerator for three weeks or in the freezer for a year.  (As if you’d ever leave this exquisite, delectable jam for a year.)  This recipe makes five half-pints.

Now.  If you like things really tangy you may increase the lime juice to 1/2 cup and add a bit more lime peel.  But this is only if you spent much of your adolescence at slumber parties watching Kevin Bacon dance while sucking on Sour Patch Kid candy.  Otherwise, your mouth might not be able to handle the puckery-ness of it all.

Pucker up buttercups and enjoy!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Canning, In the kitchen. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to My new obsession.

1. athenamiles says:

Looks TART! 🙂 Here’s an easy tip for peeling kiwi (now that you’re done, but for next time). Cut the kiwi in half, use a spoon and scoop it out. Since you’re mashing it anyway, won’t be an issue if its a bit less then perfect.

2. Mindy says:

We love it, too! I’m glad you were brave enough to try it. It really does take jam-making to the next level.

I’m always surprised by how refreshing it is. Refreshing like how cucumbers are refreshing, not refreshing like a tall, ice-cold glass of lemonade. It’s got enough sweet to balance the tart…just a perfect blend.

• bunkersdown says:

I love it because it’s a jam you can make pretty much anytime of the year. I found a recipe for watermelon jam that I want to try with the last watermelons of the summer. If I’m not too late already.

3. thefoodcharlatan says:

One of my readers followed your comment on my blog and found your recipe for Kiwi Lime Jam. Based on your recipe, she made kiwi-pomegranate jam. Look at you, inspiring the masses!

does it make it not as cool that the reader was my mom?

• bunkersdown says:

I think that makes it twice as cool if it’s your mom! It would be even cooler if she would send me some. WOWZA Kiwi-Promengranate jam? That sounds incredibly delicious. And a little exotic too.

4. Pingback: Kiwi Lime Jam « The Food Charlatan

5. thefoodcharlatan says:

I finally did it. uh-maze-ing. Seriously I am coming up with all kinds of borderline gross things to put jam on just so that I can have more of it in my mouth. I am in love!! Here’s my post! http://thefoodcharlatan.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/kiwi-lime-jam/

6. Pingback: Kiwi Lime Jam | The Food Charlatan